Apr 28, 2011

Original version of Right to Bear Arms

This is one of the original versions of what became the Second Amendment, regarding the Right to Bear Arms.

This version was passed by the first House of Representatives in 1789. You will notice that this version is different, and I think more clearly written, than the version that ultimately became the Second Amendment.  

“A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the People, being the best security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, but no one religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person.”

I like the phrase “composed of the body of the People”. That phrase would help quite a bit when debating the meaning of the Second Amendment.

I also like the phrase “no one religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person.” Although I strongly support the military, I have always disagreed with military drafts, which force citizens to take arms and fight when they do not wish to. I wonder why this phrase was taken out?

Personally, I like this original version of the Right to Bear Arms much more than the version we have had to work with.